The wellbeing of healthcare workers is critical to patient safety.
While looking after the mental health and wellbeing of our healthcare workers has always been important, the events of 2020 have intensified the focus of healthcare worker wellbeing as an immediate priority for our health sector.
Never has it been more important to care for your own mental health and wellbeing and for that of your employees, colleagues, family members or loved ones.
Coming in 2021: Healthcare worker wellbeing centre
The Victorian Government has funded the establishment of a Healthcare Worker Wellbeing Centre, to be launched in early 2021.
It will be the first of its kind in Australia, and will address all areas of wellbeing for all who work in clinical and non-clinical roles in health services, community health and aged and primary care settings.
Led by our Chief Clinical Officers, the centre will:
- provide direct links to organisations, tools and resources to support their own mental health and wellbeing
- share tools, resources and training to help organisational leaders and managers to better support their staff
- look at ways to create system level changes and embed worker wellbeing as a priority across the broader health system.
I need help or support, where can I go?
There is a wealth of existing supports, resources and helplines available to support a healthcare worker in need:
- Your GP can provide advice, support and referral if required.
- Your manager or local Employee Assistance Program at work.
- Beyond Blue and Beyond Blue Coronavirus Mental Wellbeing Support Service.
- Headspace (16-25 years old).
- Lifeline Australia.
- Nurses, midwives and allied health professionals can access Nurse & Midwife Support, which provides a 24/7 confidential advice and referral service.
- The medical workforce can access Drs4Drs.com.au and Victorian Doctor’s Health Program for tailored support
- Head to Health COVID-19 Support.
- Pandemic Kindness has put together a list of support services for people doing it tough due to COVID-19.
- Worksafe has a wide range of resources to support employers to create safe and mentally healthy workplace.
- The Australian Centre for Grief and Bereavement 1800 22 22 00.
- The Essential Network for health professionals is a website and mobile application by the Black Dog Institute.
- Smiling Mind has practical tools to support good mental health during challenging times, and is available via the Google Play and Apple Store.
Missed any of our webinars?
View the recordings below and help us share it with your staff.
- Self-care and wellbeing while working at the healthcare frontline
- Leading in healthcare for wellbeing during COVID-19
- Keeping our healthcare workforce safe during COVID-19
- Combating compassion fatigue and burnout at the healthcare frontline during COVID-19
- Behind the scenes with the Victorian Chief Clinical Officers
- Keeping the focus on healthcare worker wellbeing
Keep updated on further information about healthcare worker wellbeing
We want to partner with you to make sure the centre meets your needs. There will be numerous opportunities for engagement and collaboration early in 2021.
Sign up to updates from one of our Chief Clinical Officers to be the first to know.